September 30, 2017
Do you want to find out the best ways to keep your kids safe from electrical harm? Kids run the most risk of getting hurt because of mismanaged electrical systems. Oftentimes the only reason they get hurt is from a lack of knowledge about the dangers of electricity. That’s why it’s so important to go over the risks it poses to them. At CMC Electric, be believe in safety before anything else. That’s why we put together this guide for making sure your kids are well informed about electrical dangers.
Don’t Stick Fingers in Outlets
Never put your fingers or any other objects in power outlets or light bulb sockets. Doing so risks severe injury and even death in some cases. These ports are designed to power electronics, so when you touch them, they send that electricity into you. The only object that should go into a power outlet is a power cord, and the only thing that should go into a light bulb socket is a light bulb.
Don’t Put Too Heavy of a Load on a Single Outlet
Power outlets are only designed to handle up to a certain load amperage threshold. Be careful trying to power multiple high-power devices with one outlet, as it could cause overheating and shorting.
Don’t Yank on Power Cords
If you need to unplug something, be sure to pull out the plug by the head. Don’t yank on the power cable. If you do, you risk breaking the cord, bending the prongs, and damaging the outlet.
Keep Cords and Wires Away from Sources of Heat
If you leave wires near a heat source, it could result in the insulating layer over the wires to melt, leading to a short or fire.
Never Touch a Worn or Frayed Electrical Cable
A cable that has begun to come undone is a serious hazard. Touching exposed wire means risking getting shocked or worse from the exposed ends. If you see a frayed cable, let an adult know immediately.
Keep Cords away from Water
Water and electricity don’t mix. Make sure that when you’re dealing with power cables of all shapes and sizes, you keep them away from bodies of water, both large and small. Water anywhere near a cord poses a risk of shorting.
Never Use Electronics If You’re Wet or near Water
If you’ve been in or near water recently, wait until you’ve dried off before handling any sort of electrical device or appliance. If water enters a device, it could cause it to short out, destroying it. Plus, if you’re in a pool or bathtub, you should never use electronics at the same time. Not only could water coming into contact with the electronics damage them, but it could cause bodily injury.
Keep Liquids Away from Electronics
In addition to keeping your electronics out of bodies of water, you should keep containers of water away from electronics and wiring. Electronics are especially vulnerable against water contact. If you spill liquid on your electrical devices, appliances, or wiring, it could lead to damage and shorting.
Keep Your Kids Safe with CMC Electric
Electrical safety is no joke. Take the time to learn what some common problem areas are in your home and see what you can do to improve them. Move your hair dryer away from the sink. Fix up that old, frayed cable behind the TV. Take the time to learn what electronics need to be treated with care to avoid injury or damage to the electronics. If you’re interested in improving your home electrical setup to make it safer, contact the experts at CMC Electric. We proudly provide dependable electrical services in Raleigh, Clayton, and Wilmington, NC that add an extra level of safety. If you’re interested, request service now to learn more.